At the Highlands LLEN VET Cluster, we offer VET (Vocational Education and Training) Programs to Secondary Students. This is called VETDSS.
VET Programs offer students the opportunity to gain a Nationally recognised qualification, by undertaking industry informed training, through which, they will gain workplace skills and knowledge relevant to that specific industry.
The benefits of VETDSS are:
- Students gain credit towards VCE and VCAL
- Students undertake Structured Workplace Learning
- Offers a pathway to further study, apprenticeship/traineeship or employment.
Highlands LLEN offer VET Programs including:
- Building and Construction
- Hair and Beauty
- Kitchen Operations*
- Early Childhood Education and Care
- Animal Studies
- Screen and Media*
- Information, Digital Media and Technology*
- Equine Studies*
- Community Services*
- Music Industry – Sound Production*
- Sport and Recreation*
- Laboratory Skills *
- Visual Arts – Photography
- Furniture Making*
Programs with * offer Scored assessment.
We also offer Specialist Programs in Animal Studies and also hope to offer a Specialist Program in Warehousing. These programs are designed for students, who for whatever reason are unable to participate in our regular VET programs.
Some VET Programs offer scored assessment, this means that students receive a study score like in any VCE subject and this score counts towards the students ATAR. A study score is a student’s mean or average compared with all other students who completed this subject. A student’s ATAR is calculated by VTAC (Victorian Tertiary and Admission Centre), using a student’s study scores for all VCE or VCE VET subjects.
MYTH 1: VET is only for VCAL students.
TRUTH: all VET Programs offer credit towards VCAL and VCE.
Highlands LLEN Programs:
At the Highlands LLEN VET Cluster our programs run as follows:
- First year programs – Thursday afternoons from 1.45pm until 4.45pm
- Second year programs – Tuesday afternoons from 1.45 until 4.45pm
All VET programs run over two years and students can study in year’s 10 and 11 or in year’s 11 and 12.
For more information on VET Cluster programs please visit our website at www.highlandsllen.org
or contact our VET Coordinator, Kylie Barnett, on 0448 559 246 or via email [email protected]